Saturday, March 16, 2013

278 not out

278 being the combined age of the intrepid four who met at UTUP this morning, namely JtE, YJ, EtU and my good self. JtE said he knew a good route to Spitlers Edge that cut out some descent and the worst of the quagmire. So we set off towards the Post Office, along the stream and up to the road that turns off at the top of Sheephouse Lane. The next mile or so was a bit of a mystery to me, partly because I didn't really recognize anywhere (the clag was down) and partly because I had forgotten to charge up my Garmin watch so that it packed up early. Eventually we hit Spitlers and then ran along the flags to the top of Great Hill. Normally I try to avoid these flagstones, but it was so wet that we had no choice. At the summit, some good natured banter took place along the North-South divide; references were made  to "northern peasants" and "soft southern jesses" much to the amusement of a couple of walkers who were resting at the shelter. This southern jesse was beginning to feel cold, so I set off down, leaving the others to enjoy the bracing fresh air. We re-grouped just before Brinscall, and turned for home.

The second part of the run was very pleasant but very muddy. White Coppice, Anglezarke, High Bullough and finally the barn, a total of just over 12.2 miles. I must agree with JtE that the route up to Spitlers was excellent- it's a pity that my Garmin packing in means I have no idea where we went! My thanks to my three aged, northern companions ( everything is relative- I am the youngest of the group and the only southerner, so I am justified in making the comment) for a very enjoyable morning. I shall look forward to my next outing with you.

No comments: