Saturday, December 08, 2012

Really Wild Boar Fell Race Sat 8th Dec (8k/427m)

I thought I'd take the car out for its first play in the snow. Looking promising on the way to the Hamlet of Street (about half way between Sedbergh and Kirkby Stephen)

(The Howgills on the way to Sedbergh)
 
 As I turned off the main road and headed along the single track lane to the Race HQ, came face to face with another car. Neither of us wishing to reverse the whole way up, so only one option, mine had to get off the road as it was the 4x4. So with a little intrepidation I reversed up a little way and picked a spot to venture off onto the snow covered grass, being guided by some previous tyre tracks.
 
Once back on the track, the feeling of exhilaration and relief that I now had a car that wouldn't get stranded at a fell race car park came over me in a nice warm wave! Should point out that I'd gone prepared just in case, with sleeping bag, stove, food etc for an overnight stay, weather men might have got Saturday's forecast wrong. Parking the car turned out to be 'easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy', less true for the car next to me who needed a push.
 
The race was an absolute belter. A good track to start (snow covered to smooth out the rocky bits), then onto the fell with a steep climb and knee deep snow. The fast'uns had made a series of steps for me, which was nice! Two checkpoints on the summit, by heck it were parky up there. Then a fantastic descent back down to the track.
 
Slipped into the finish in about 1:21, with 5 behind me. For my first full winter condition fell race, it was £4 well spent. Awesome.
 
 
(Car Parking)
TF

No comments: