Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lakeland 4 Passes (LDWA)

Sorry guys, the forecast was looking too promising for Saturday so a late entry was procured. The route starts in Rosthwaite and it's up and over Styhead, Blacksail, Scarth Gap and Honister in that order. 18m and 5400ft, not bad seeming as though you don't touch any summits.

Last Saturday with a heavy pack I reckon I'd managed to cover about 16.5m and 4500ft, so I gave myself a 6hr target at a nice steady pace with time to take a couple of piccies.

So of to a good start with 4 snaps before the off!

Now the fun begins. Notice how there are nice straight tyre tracks leading to my car and a load of squiggly ones to the others! Little red car did a full 360, plus a few forwards/backs to finally get parked!


Some assistance required!


I did take a few more snaps at Stoney Bridge just before the climb up to Styhead but still getting used to my new phone and they didn't save. Didn't stop for long enough to get the phone out again until I got to the third checkpoint at Gatesgarth. So here's a final one taken with a view over Buttermere


A big thanks to the organizers for a fabulous route. Thoroughly enjoyed my day out, nice to enjoy the company of other runners/walkers on an official event without the usual racing stress. Oh except for my own self-imposed little target, which I undercut by 30mins. Job done!

STOP PRESS

The 'String Vest' is making a comeback as a new technical garment, with an eye-watering price to match. On my warm-down lap round Keswick town centre I came across a new outdoor store just across the road from George Fisher. (Used to be a bed/bath shop I think)

It's called Nordicoutdoor and it's selling Scandinavian Outdoor gear. So in I go for a bit of a mooch. Front of shop mostly Haglofs gear, but in the back room is where they keep all the baselayers. Well gobsmacked is not the word. Not only top halfs, but bottoms as well!!

To save you a trip to Keswick here's a bit of an idea as to what I came across
http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/aclima/coolnet.html

and for when it gets a bit chilly

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/aclima/woolnet.html

TF

No comments: