Monday, September 10, 2012

Rab Mini Mountain Marathon - Howgills 9 September 2012

Quite why it is called a mini mountain marathon is beyond me.  It is in fact an orienteering score event that just happens to be in some very lumpy countryside where competitors have to collect as many points in a given time limit.  In this case the time limit is 4 hours with penalties for being late.  This event started and finished in Sedbergh with 22 controls spread across the fells to the west, south and east of The Calf.  This type of competition is my favorite as it is orienteering at it's purest.  There is no right or wrong route and you are constantly planning and revising your route depending on the conditions and capability.
TF made an appearance and put in a strong run up the west side of the map to pick up controls on her way to the highest scoring control in that area before returning catching a few more on the way down.  I took a more circular route around the middle of the map and struggled with the climbing and contouring bringing a modest score for the day.
With very few paths on route the day took its toll on my feet leaving me with quite deep blisters on the balls of my feet, mainly from the contouring.  Although the hills in that area look quite benign the route choices we had to take took in some very steep climbs and descents.  So much so that I had no stability left in my knees for the final descent resulting in me having to slide down the hill giving me dreadful grass burns in a most sensitive area.
It was the first time I have been on those fells and actually enjoyed a view and what a view from The Calf - but no camera - sorry.
It was good to see TF out and back to her chirpy self.  I have it on good authority that we will be blessed with her presence on the Saturday UTUP.  Should make for a fine outing.

No comments: