Sunday, September 02, 2012

A series of firsts...

After much talk of doing this for the last few months since being granted access, I'm finally writing an entry, so that makes this the first of the firsts. I'll try and make it of a reasonable standard or better if I can, however I'll make no promises at this point.

On to the second of the firsts then, the date being the 1st September, it provides a handy, if unintentional tie-in. EtU, KLM, Steve "Still no moniker as noted in TF's post from the first OCT recce" (note the third "first" already) and I set off for Threlkeld where the plan was to set KLM and I off on a recce of Leg 2 of the Bob Graham, while EtU and Steve would continue to Dunmail and head straight for Dollywaggon before picking up the route of the not too dissimilar Graham Bob. The plan was that we'd meet somewhere around Helvellyn, weather, visibility and sheer chance permitting.

The run up to get on to the path for Clough Head passed easily enough, I still had a niggle in my ankle from Cardington Cracker recce on the Bank Holiday Monday prior and thought it may slow me, though I couldn't allow it to halt the run. After following a couple of trods that would bring us round White climbing a plan formed with KLM to head directly up for Clough Head, it turned out to be strenuous in places but actually kept us on time with the schedule EtU had provided and that we were measuring our progress by.

The weather's precedent was set at Clough Head, clouds skimming the peaks all day, seemingly vanishing for no more than a few moments before rushing back in and cutting visibility down but lingering for the longest between Raise and Nethermost. Thankfully I had the navigational skills of KLM with me as between Clough Head and Helvellyn Lower every peaks was a first for me, having never been in that part of the Lakes before. Another first that we both noted was that the weather was always poor when we went out running in the Lakes together, naturally, we blamed each other for bringing the conditions. However, I have what I believe to be photographic evidence of it being his fault. The view from Great Dodd was clear, so I grabbed the camera, as KLM came up on to the top... he brought a great bank of cloud, apocalyptic in its proportions, the prosecution rests;

KLM bringing the weather with him


The journey proceeded as planned with only minor incidents, one which was me wondering if KLM had vanished into the bog when we took different routes to Watson's Dodd, thankfully he hadn't. We also saw a Race For The Sun challenge walker on Sticks Pass who had been struck down by the cold, he had friends and marshals with him so while we offered assistance, weren't need so we carried on South. From what I've read on Grough, he was later airlifted off. The other walkers just seemed to be a little bemused by us, one exclaiming as we passed "Do you guys actually do this for fun?". The marshals were much more supportive of our plans for the day and happy to discuss the BG and various sections of it.

The running was good and at one brief stop, which I've reasoned must have been at Raise (there was some debate over where this occurred, EDIT: I was wrong, it was Lower Man) EtU and Steve appeared from the gloom after having double back from a lower route. The team reassembled, we headed off for Lower Man and then the rest of the route, each peak having it's own little story; on the drop from Hevellyn the cloud cleared on both sides to give a spectacular view for a few seconds before closing in again, on Nethermost we met another group of four on a recce, none of whom admitted to having full blown BG plans yet though and Dollywaggon harboured three men out walking, one a former Horwich runner.

We opted to descend Dollywaggon via the wall route, coming out to the West of Grisedale Tarn and then heading round it to attempt Fairfield. The final two were also firsts for me and having looked at height profiles before the leg, Fairfield was my only concern and it proved me right to have been. I had very little left going up and stopped at the very cold and windy top while EtU and KLM started the descent. I took so long to get gloves on and food in with barely functioning hands that they started coming back up for me! With pangs of guilt of taking so long and causing their return, I joined them on the unpleasant, scree-ridden descent before the relatively ease of Seat Sandal. Once that was done and a few pictures taken we headed for Dunmail to complete the recce and by way of celebration of nearly being at the end, I broke the downhilling technique which is fast becoming known as "Spanielling". On reflection, it was probably just the huge sugar intake from the top of Fairfield leaving me somewhat hyperactive.

The colourful recce team

Looking back up to Skiddaw in the distance

Pre-Spanielling down Seat Sandal


Once we'd reached the car, fresh clothing was donned, replenishments consumed and for me at least, an awestruck stare was cast at the route the start of Leg 3, the climb straight up Steel Fell. A great day out, thanks to EtU, KLM and Steve for coming and also pushing me to do the write, even if it does suffer from prolix in places. I've lost count of all the firsts, a first in itself I suppose.

A sunny Steel Fell

No comments: