Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Magnificent Seven

Well six plus Gordon.
I intend to try doing Coope's Dozen later this year but since it is 15 years since I last did it I had forgotten the route. So at 8.35 on Saturday EtU, TF, Colin, The Iceman and my good self were just about to set off on a recce of the first seven tops, when t'Y drives up. Despite EtU's exhortations, we weren't quick enough to escape, so now we were six. ( A day is always improved by my learning something I didn't know and on Saturday I discovered that whilst the rest of the country is on GMT, t'Y is on YT which is five minutes behind. This explains a lot).
Now one of the penalties for being an effete southerner is that I have no hills to train on and I really struggled on the ascent of Noon Hill and also on the rough stuff to the Pike. I have a question here: what is the best route from Noon Hill to the Pike? Colin, TF and the Iceman went along the wet path to the stream junction and then up, t'Y went back to Georges Lane, whilst EtU and I tried to avoid losing height but I struggled in the tussocks.
It was nice to see record holder Kevin Gaskell at the Pike and I enjoyed the descent and the run along Georges Lane. At Pike Cottage we were joined by JtE and all seven of us stopped at Two Lads for a photo shoot. However, I cant find the lead to download the pictures from my mobile so you will have to wait to see the pictures. Sorry!
Then came the parting of the ways. Colin went back, JtE dropped down to the Tresspasser's Stone whilst the rest of us folowed the Winter Hill route to the shooting huts and then to the reservoir. At this point the Iceman and TF went straight for the mast muttering something about not fancying that slog, thus leaving t'Y, EtU and I to continue with our recce. A very pleasant run to Whinberry Hill and Egg Hillock was followed by 'that slog'. TF was so right; the will to live was fast evaporating as EtU and I just took the direct route whilst t'Y went on the scenic route. To be fair to Gordon he did arrive at Counting Hill first but he is the youngest! An easy run up to the mast was followed by a quick descent to Georges Lane and then back the way we came. According to t'Y we did 10.6 miles and he has downloaded the route if anyone wants to follow it.
My thanks to everyone for a very enjoyable morning and I will see you all again next time I am 'up north'.

No comments: