Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Going backwards at the Chernobyl 10K

On Sunday I met EtU at the back of the starters for the Chernobyl 10k  race. I could tell he was up for it from the start. This was confirmed by the fact that he concentrated on his running rather than employing his normal tactic of talking throughout the race to anyone who would listen.  It was a flattish course made for fast times. For the first 4 miles EtU and I were neck and neck and as he has a thicker neck than me, not to mention legs, he was winning. From thereon he gradually got away and there was no burst of lightening pace from me, but then there never has been, at the end of the race to catch him up. When I got in, there waiting was YJ who I hadn’t realised was racing. I think he’d showered by then.

YJ’s time was a superb 48:47 and astonishingly he was only 2nd M70. There were 551 runners and he came 221st. Not bad for an over 70. EtU  was 366th in a time of 53:54, whilst I had a disappointing run coming 378th in 54:.30. That was 1:33 slower than my Garstang time and that’s a tougher course with much more hillwork. YJ’s time by contrast was 2:18 better than at Garstang. Anyway having moaned about my performance here are a couple of piccies.

Chernobyl 10k 002At the start with YJ nowhere in sight and it remained that way until..

Chernobyl 10k 006 

..well after he stopped running

No comments: