Sunday, January 15, 2012

Three at Hyndburn Mid Lancs XC

Following the night's sharp frost, the XC course at Wilson Fields at Clayton had just about thawed out into a very muddy route. The course had changed from previous years taking in one shorter lap followed by two longer laps to gain only 5.4 miles. However, what it lacked in distance, it gained in lack of grip. I chose spikes but needed longer ones. A big field of around 290 set off with EYJ just ahead of me as the first half mile was a bit stop-start. Apologies to YJ as I never saw you and I don't know if EYJ did - didn't mention it : but good to see you back "xc racing". Initially I kept EYJ in sight but struggled with grip (and fitness) for most of the course. There's been a lot a tarmac path-laying near to the road which also didn't help the rhythm : I used to enjoy that stretch where I could get in some quick running. At least I achieved my fastest pace on the run in and managed to regain a couple of places
EYJ was well in front of me and if the categories were accurate, was probably the first V70.
At least it was a significant improvements over Astley Park which must have been my worst performance for 5 years. Think I'll have to skip next week due to visiting so next one will be the Northern Champs at Pontefract where hopefully the stamina and pace will be back.
Bazza took a load of photos which are on facebook.

No comments: