Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wasdale Outing Sat 16th July

What a difference a week makes, distinctly wet yesterday. Half the usual utup (EtU, YJ and me)team had decided on a day trip to Wasdale to help me find the last piece of the jigsaw for the Borrowdale Fell race, aka the 'corridor route'. Had heard about this route many times, but never done it. It's amongst many on the 'tick list' of things to do.

Our arrival at Brackenclose coincided with lots of support teams for BG's, one being Fred's run which you find more about here http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?14838-Freds-Run
and view a youtube clip here www.youtube.com/watch?v=56U3E_90Ahg One team had been there long enough to have the bacon sizzling in the pan. Smelt delicious, but hunger pangs were not what you needed just before setting off on a good hike (ooops, sorry meant run!) At EtU's insistence we ran out of the car park to the cattle grid, (a good 20m or so!) just so he could log it as running miles.

By the time we got to the last fell gate, I was rapidly getting the hint that the 'tourist' route was not going to be optimum route choice for making it to Scafell Pike. Tales of woe from descending walkers about the depth of Lingmell Gill were becoming more exaggerated one by one. By the time it was nearing chest depth, plan B swung into action. We 'swung' left up onto Lingmell Fell and followed the path (reverse of Wasdale Fell Race) to Lingmell Col and up to the bend of the path up to Scafell Pike.

On the way up I'd discussed the option of carrying straight on and avoiding the scree run down from Scafell Pike. Maybe I was wimping out a bit, but felt it was better being left to a day when the adrenaline rush had already kicked in. I also needed to keep my two guides able-bodied for the key purpose of the recce. So after a further group discussion and relieved that they weren't too disappointed on missing the summit, I navigated them (expertly done, apparently) to the top of Piers Gill. At which point it was 'over to you boys'!

Not sure why, but I'd always imagined that the 'corridor route' would be narrow, indistinct rocky path which you'd really needed to keep your wits about you so you didn't go 'off piste' as I'd done the other week coming off Great Gable. So pleasantly supprised to see it was a veritable motorway of a path compared to what I'd already conjured up in my mind. There was only one section, which had already been eluded to as the 'rock climbing bit' on the previous Saturday's run discussions, which wits were required.

As we neared the end of the route, we were getting brief clearances in the misty conditions to help nail a more grassy and direct route across Sty Head towards the location of the race check-point at the Stretcher Box. One of the reasons why I tend to do a lot of race recces on my own is I like to do a bit of 'faffing about' finding the best lines. It needs a lot of patience (and time) going back and forth over a route even over a small area. YJ is equally afflicted with this trait, EtU less so but generously played along to humour me and YJ.

It took us 3hrs or so to get to Sty Head, so we weren't going to win any prizes but despite some weariness EtU's competetive mode was still there he challenged two 'likely lads' to a dash up Great Gable. The challenge was to get to the top in 30 mins. We let them set off and then turned to head down the valley. His reasoning being that he'd already done it numerous times and at their age it should be a doddle. I think the 'likely lads' will need to put in a bit more training, as EtU bumped into them down at the campsite and it'd taken them 32mins. Will need to see what I can do in three weeks time.

It's a long drive for an 8 mile route (YJ will be able to give a more accurate report regarding distance/climb) but I'm indebted to both YJ and EtU (driver) for accompanying me on this last part of my preparation for placing myself on the start line of the Borrowdale Fell Race. Training begins in earnest again on Monday having eased off a little this week.

TF


No comments: