Sunday, July 10, 2011

Wasdale 2011

First of all lots of thank yous. To all the wfdbwgua members for all your support and encouragement, to Rhys Findlay-Robinson for taking on the mantle of stand-in organizer, the team of marshals and helpers that make one of the toughest fell races happen and finally the weather-gods for providing near perfect conditions.

Race plan was the same as Duddon, set off at a pace and keep it going for as long as possible. Cut-offs were as follows, Whin Rigg 1hr, Seatallan 2hr 25, Pillar 3hr 25, Great Gable 4hr 30.

Whin Rigg in 51:27 so good solid start.
Seatallan in 2:11:48 - was chuffed with this as it really gave me a good cushion for later.
Pillar in 3:17:48 - not the 10mins clear I was hoping for, but not a disaster.

So nearly there. Got to Black Sail pass with 52 mins to go, Beck Head with 24 mins to go, getting stressed and worried about the touch of cramp I kept getting in left thigh. Kept checking my watch on the way up and finally

Great Gable in 4:27:36 - what a relief!! Had a 20p fudge bar to celebrate, whilst I talked to the marshals and had a look round at the view. Third time I'd been on the summit and the first time I could see more than twenty feet ahead!

Got myself safely off Gable and onto the next stage of the race, completion. Now the stressful bit was over just had to concentrate on moving forward (without falling over) and enjoy it! Being able to ease off the pace helped a bit as the dreaded cramp never returned. As you can see from NLN's photos the weather from here onwards was glorious. I passed on my regards to Dave P-T at Esk Hause and due to a bit of a conversation I'd over heard between two of the other runners, realised that the CFR runner I'd had in sight most of the way round was Peter Ferris, who'd helped on a couple of JN. He was accompanied by his dog on the route who seemed to be as good at navigating as his owner, although occasionally decided that his owner should throw in an extra summit, as if the 5 main ones weren't enough!

Got to Esk Hause in 5:20:59, Scafell Pike 6:01:48 and Lingmell Nose 6:30:04.

Finish time 6:36:57. My friend Ruth (runs for Salford H too) had decided to come up to Wasdale for the day, bringing her Mum for a trip out and was there to see me into the finish. She thinks I'm mad. Drove me to the Wasdale Inn for a pint to celebrate. I think I'd earnt it.

TF
(all being well I'll be out for a run on thurs, and trip back to Wasdale on Saturday if the weather looks favourable)

1 comment:

Peawet said...

Well Done TF, a great effort!