Friday, July 01, 2011

Hope Wakes Fell Race 5.9m/1480ft


I had a couple of choices for Wednesday night racing, but opted for this one. I'd enjoyed it in 2009 when I was in my proverbial 'kid in a sweet shop' mode having been released onto the racing scene following the fairly barren year before (training for the marathon 2008).


So a welcome return. In 2009 I'd managed 77mins, so was hoping for a sub 70min effort. The route takes you from the playing fields in Hope Village and up onto Win Hill. It then drops into the forest along the banks of the Ladybower reservoir, which you run parallel to, until the second climb back up onto Win Hill, this time to the summit. The descent from there is the same (for those that know it) as the one in the Edale Skyline. The beauty of it this time round, is that you can go 'hell for leather' knowing you haven't got Lose Hill, Mam Tor, Lords Seat etc to follow.



The race is now into it's 65th year, one of the oldest races still going in Derbyshire/Peak District area. A very decent turn-out of runners, probably 200+, were sent on our way by the winner of the very first race in 1946, a Mr Bob Randles. Having done a track session the night before I decided to see if it'd have any beneficial affect. Lasted about 200m before a load came streaming past! So with my recent Lakeland training I thought I'd see how many I could pull back on the steeper bits. I pushed myself hard on these climbs, trying to run as much as possible. Although, narrow tracks and single file lines of 'runners' held me back a bit, I was pleased with the places I gained, with a few appreciative comments from the runners I passed.


I returned to the finish field for my celebratory orange squash and flapjack (provided by race organizers) and my own homemade sultana scone. Lovely. Time, I think about 65mins. So quite an improvement on 2009, with a reasonable number of runners behind me too.


An easy run last night, but it's usually 2 days after when I normally suffer. So tonights run will see how much affect 'going for it' on the last downhill stretch has had! All easy-paced runs, and definitely no racing now until Wasdale on the 9th July.


TF




No comments: