Friday, July 09, 2010

Moving swiftly on

I've read an article in the RSPB magazine which says that swifts travel about 500 miles a day, are in perpetual motion and sleep on the wing. We know a Swift like that, the YJ, except that he sleeps on the run. How else could he fit it in?

I never realised how much sense t'Yorkshireman has. He must have picked it up since he came to Lancashire, although when he lived there some could have drifted over the border to West Yorkshire, borne by a sympathetic wind. Anyway, he obviously timed his challenge so as to avoid the hysterical hype that always surrounds England's participation in the World Cup. I say "participation" rather than "bid to win", as only those with an unimaginable imagination, that is, the frenzied press, players and FabiGO Capello, could harbour such fantastical dreams. Next time, t'Y, could you take us with you? Please.
Well done so far and keep going. We don't want a Stone on knees in the Pyranees.

For myself, I didn't get as much climbing as I'd have liked last week in the Lakes, changeable weather being one of the reasons. However I do know what a hill looks like now. This week I have managed for the first time since January, to run for more than an hour-and-a-half and also, take to the Belmont hills. Time is freeing up a bit now and I'm targeting 24th July to rejoin the group, fitness and Achilles, which still posts reminders when I'm climbing, permitting.

No comments: