Monday, June 07, 2010

My First Little Duddon

It seems like everyone has been nagging me to have a go at Duddon for years so this year I thought I'd taste (test?) the water and do the short race to give me a feel for the event. Having been at the Crofters the evening before, I did manage to rise in time to have a reasonably unhurried journey to Seathwaite (allowing that the short race allows an extra 20 minutes for the start line).
Noticed EtU and YJ as I arrived and said hello to TF before heading to register. I was a bit concerned that I'd not thought to bring lots of liquid with me but managed to down what I had and get my 500ml bottle replenished.
Only 44 at the start line so set off gently along with Tf on what is one of the most awful surfaces for the start of a race, making Georges Lane seem a joy. Once we reached a more safely runnable stretch I decided to move through a little and by the time we hit the first climb was getting into the swing of things, passing a few.
Took the wrong line for the first checkpoint, resulting in a short run back along the track to dib my dibber - think it is only the second time I've used a dibber - sure it's something that JtE would be looking at.
Think I was up into the top 20 or 25 by the time I'd reached the Dow Crag checkpoint but then lost a load of places by following the wrong ones on the ridge run : I think we were heading for a non-existent checkpoint at White Maiden. From Caw I seemed to take about 2 hours, ok 23 minutes - nearly twice as long as TF who came storming in just 3 minutes after me.
Took some photos of the long race as they descended towards the finish but by the time EtU was coming down, I had returned to the field for the presentation.
Had a great time in the pub chatting to Lee & Pauline Warburton and Pete Booth and listening to an excellent blues band.
Had a bit of a walk on Sunday but decided I didn't have time to walk the long course which had taken Ed almost six hours to run, especially as I wasn't packed and ready to go till 10 and it is a 2 hour drive home. The forecast of thunderstorms also persuaded me - I'll have enough of them in the Pyrenees.
So may be back next year - we shall see.
Splits were:
Caw Quarry 19:56
White Pike Quarry 18:53 (38:49)
Wall Corner 19:09 (57:58)
Dow Crag 21:22 (79:20)
White Pike 22:58 (102:18)
Caw 32:09 (134:27)
Finish 23:49 (2:38:16)
Just in time to watch Simon Booth complete the long course!

No comments: