Sunday, June 06, 2010

Goodbye Classics

In contrast to EtU's Duddon (long) experience my own race probably marks the end of any hopes of continuing a race programme based around the Lakeland Classics.

From the start my pace was not enough to keep in touch with the rest of the field, although strong climbing of the early ascents brought me back into contact with other tailenders.

Stamina and motivation was never in question but by Swirl Howe I was outside the cut off by four minutes and the well meaning marshals were happy for me to carry on. By Dow, however, I had fallen another five minutes behind and while the marshals tried to persuade me to continue I retired in consideration of the marshals on White Pike and returned via the Walna Scar road. I had done 17 miles in six hours and estimated that to complete the 18 mile race would have taken me about 6 and a half hours. So now it's time to take stock and consider a new approach to racing.

Training on the fells will continue and there will still be some long races where cut off times are more lax. I must look on it as a change of emphasis rather than the end of an era.

No comments: