Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why no UTUPs for me in June and July

At last night's Jubilee race, JtE and I were discussing my little escapade this summer and he suggested I ought to post up on the blog clearly what I'm doing so I'll have a go:
  • It's a walk not a run
  • I start the walk on June 13th (might get to a UTUP in first week)
  • It's about 550 miles from the Atlantic (Hendaye) to the Mediterranean (Banyuls)
  • The total ascent is about 165,000 feet (49714m to be precise)
  • Even worse (for me), the total descent is also 49714 metres!
  • The maximum height I reach will be 2509 metres (8238 ft) on day 19
  • The schedule I'm using (Paul Lucia's book) will take 50 days
  • The shortest (easiest?) day is day 6 (St Jean Pied de Port to Estérençuby), 13.1km, 489m (1600ft) ascent, 415m (1360ft) descent, estimated at 3hrs 25
  • The longest day is day 23 (Bagnères de Luchon to Fos), 22.7km, 1003m (3290ft) ascent, 1857m (6092 ft) descent, estimated at 9hrs 40 - with my descending, maybe more
  • I'm booking only certain points along the way - this will give me a bit more flexibility
  • My pack will weigh approximately 11Kg plus food and water.
  • This includes a lightweight tent (1300g) and lightweight cooking equipment.

  • To give me extra incentive to complete, I'm looking for sponsorship either for Guide Dogs for The Blind or British Heart Foundation.
  • If you have any friends or relations whose life has been improved by Guide Dogs for the Blind please click the logo to go to the sponsor site.




  • If you have any friends or relations who have benefitted by the work of the British Heart Foundation, please click the logo to go to the sponsor site.





  • I have modest targets for both : £500 and both are now nearly half way there (in reality, over halfway there as I know there are sponsor forms out which are getting populated). If you don't want to use justgiving.com, I do have sponsor forms.

  • I'll try to update my blog at the few locations that may have internet cafés. It's not all wilderness, there are about six Ambleside size towns along the route.
Here's Monday night's article from the Bolton News (only one small error - the total ascent).





No comments: