Monday, May 10, 2010

Carneddau Fell Race 9.2m/4200ft Saturday 8th May

Did you know that the Welsh for George is 'Sior'? No, neither did I until I'd been past the 'Y Sior' twice before I'd realised. I'd finally had to get the map out to check the grid reference just to make sure I was about to walk into the right pub to register.

So glad I'd found it though, because what an absolutely cracking race this was. I think it had a bit of everything packed into 9m. Steep bits, grassy bits, boulders, ridge run, technical rocky path, scree run, boggy bits and the views - fabulous.

Winning time was 1hr36mins and I managed 2hr47mins. There were 68 finishers with me 64th, part of my walk back to the pub involved learning a few words in welsh from one of the locals who finished just in front of me, so I now have the correct pronunciation for where I went!

Emergency cover for the race was provided by a group of volunteers known as 'Teamdolly' www.teamdolly.co.uk, you can find a copy of the route map for the race on their website. (With a number of casualties in the race, including one with a broken tooth(!) there were certainly a few runners who were very grateful that they were there)

The full results, report and some photos are on www.wfra.org.uk .

TF

No comments: