Monday, March 22, 2010

Ras Yr Aran (10m/2500ft) Saturday 20th March

Well I'm still none the wiser as to how it's pronounced, as I meant to ask but forgot. I'm equally none the wiser as to the view from the top as I didn't linger long and you could only see about 10m ahead. It was handy then that there was a fence to follow all the way up. Although I was getting a bit worried as to whether I should be on the left or the right.

Rightly too, as just before the final summit, the fence came to a 'T' junction. Not too critical this year as there was a snow drift allowing me to walk over the top of the last part, so technically I didn't 'climb' the fence. For reference (and not to upset the organiser/farmers) you need to be on the left side as you near the summit to gain access to the last ladder stile.

A runner ahead with local knowledge, helped me avoid the worst of the rocks on the way back down. Once we'd come out of the mist I could then finally enjoy the view coming down the lovely grassy descent. I think taking in the view was why I managed a spectacular cartwheel at one point. So eyes firmly fixed on the terrain ahead after that. I'd set myself a target of 3hrs, and think I managed about 2:52/2:53, no results published as yet.

TF

No comments: