Friday, October 02, 2009

Downhills and flexibility
Apologies for not posting earlier. On Monday night it did cross my mind as to the non-appearance of Ed. More than that, I did make the comment to the others up there in the mist. I believe Rammy was also expecting you.
As always I was panicking that I would not get there on time. I chose to park at the usual Thursday night spot at about 5.45 thinking that 20 minutes to Wilderswood and 25 minutes to the Stump would be sufficient so I would arrive not too drained. Picking up the shortcut which brings you out to the right of the mast road helped and I was able to a mix of jog/walk to the mast as one of the earliest arrivals. So like me to be so well prepared and arrive in good time, isn't it Ed?
Colin set off first so that there would be someone at the finish who knew who was who as the young lady (Diane) who'd driven off to be at the finish didn't know most of us. I was off next, soon to be caught by Mark, Tony, young Mr Fowler from Preston and Pete R as we headed off towards the Pike, pulling some back as we got a bit of climb towards the Pike where Dougie was ensuring we touched the Tower.
Eventually all but Michelle overhauled me but I think my time of 29:38 may have been a PB, certainly I should have had the biggest improvement prize had there been one as I think last year I included an initial loop around the mast to start all over again.
Ed, I'm surprised Dougie had gone and you didn't catch up to Michelle (who had started after me). We were in the RMI Car Park for quite a while as the prizegiving took some time, such were the volume of prizes. Definitely a race where you had to be inittowinnit - even for the poorest descender in the club like me!
Flexibility - From Nov 1st, I shall be more flexible with my running although my diary is already filling up, but if anyone would like a good long daytime run, let me know.
Changing sport, my TT has had its ups and downs. I represented the region at CSSC games and managed to lose all 13 matches, only winning one game. I then followed up the day and half of TT with a hilly 10k in 49:30. This poor TT performance has been balanced by the new Bolton League season where I've managed to win 8 out of 9 matches so far, with my only loss very narrow to a player I've not yet managed to beat in the past three years - it all depends what level you play at!
And congratulations to YJ. Yes a bit remiss of Ed not to mention at the Quarterly Do.

No comments: