Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Left Right!

When I was in my mid teens and started walking on the fells, the group I walked with adopted the old army chant of "Left, left, I had a good home and I left, right, left, I had a good home..." We used this when we were off the fells and on the, often long, walk back to a bus route. I sometimes mutter it to my self, even now to take my mind off the pain towards the end of a long run.

But to move on to TF's research. I think we must first be clear what we are talking about. TF talks of "landing" whilst NLN uses the word "dominant" (well she would, wouldn't she?). So you may have a dominant right leg, with which you push off, but you land on your left; so are you right or left footed? (Ignore religious connotations.)

I'm right handed. When I'm starting a track effort I toe the line with my left foot and contrary to a normal running action my first movement is forward with both my right arm and my right foot. This very soon corrects to a normal gait, so that opposing foot and arm move forward together.

For jumping both up onto something and down from something, I push off with my right leg and lead forward with my left. This may be in anticipation of falling down in that in leading with my left leg , I'm also leading with my right arm, which is stronger and therefore better able to absorb a fall ~ but does this mean I'm right or left footed?

Perhaps NLN and YJ are moving like camels, which I believe move both left legs forward at the same time, then move both right legs forward, or is it the other way round?

As ever, more questions than answers I'm afraid, and we may be as confused as ever, but I do like to think that we may be confused on a slightly higher plane than previously.

PS ~ UTUPing Thursday 20th and Saturday 22nd.

No comments: