Friday, August 21, 2009

Jubilee, Darwen, left - right?
YJ and I managed to make the start line on Wednesday night for the Jubilee 5 miler. I nearly didn't, having strained (or something - whatever, it hurt) my left adductor whilst warming up.
No matter, I started - not sure if YJ started - he said that everyone set off without him!
Unsure whether I would have my first retirement in a short road race, I took it steady then seemed to move through the field, going quite well up the hill past camera trigger-happy Norman. Onto the second lap and into the worst swarm of midges I've known in the 18 years or so that I've run in the Jubilee - just solid clouds of them on the Street. Half way along YJ passes me and I fade into oblivion finishing nearly two minutes behind him. Goodness knows why I run on the Jubilee course as I never enjoy it!
Obviously I'm in no shape to do Sedbergh (despite my quickest time of the year on the climbs on Sunday) so I may risk Darwen Gala. Went to Haigh Show last Sunday but most upset to find there was no fell race. Didn't have my kit with me anyway!
Ed, what's this about track efforts - I've never made an effort on the track and can't recall you doing so (hope Norman's not reading this haha) but it looks my left side is my weakness, along with all the others.
And well done JtE on your conquering Mt. Ambleness.

No comments: