Thursday, August 21, 2008

Whittle Pike 4.5m/1400ft

Did anyone else venture out last night for a run other than me and JtE? In Rawtenstall it was proper snorkel and flippers weather!

I know it’s only 4.5m but it still amazes me when you ask for a sight of the course map you get told ‘Don’t worry it’s flagged and there’s marshals out there. We’re expecting about 160 runners’.

So optimistically that was 155 for me to follow then! I know full well that despite this and even on a short course such as this one, gaps emerge. If you’re the type of person that likes to wander about aimlessly, then this would be ok. The weather had worsened on my drive up. The windmills on top of Whittle Pike which were clearly visible from the M66, would now, as the rain was bouncing down, only be visible when in touching distance. A bit of an idea of the route might prove crucial, especially if I didn’t want to finish at 160.

So grateful then, when a sketch map of the course route appeared on the wall of the village hall. What a cracking route it turned out to be, packing in three tough little climbs and an extremely dicey stream crossing. I think Rossendale Harriers were definitely trying to play home advantage though. The flags did peter out at one point, so did any sight of any runners in front and the trod. It was still a bit of a relief when I realised I had picked the right way and came across the next marshall.

I got pipped to the post in the last 5m by one runner, but was pleased that there was at least 5 finishing behind me as I left. A very enjoyable 75mins run, and definitely one to recommend.

TF

No comments: