Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Well I’m happy to say I’ve now completed my trio of Lakeland AM fell races and feel as prepared as I possibly can for Duddon.

Buttermere Sailbeck 9.5m/4650ft

A couple of years ago I wouldn’t have considered starting a 10k in similar conditions as we had for this race. With sweltering heat and thunderous applause around the full horseshoe, I came in at 3hrs4mins. Not the slowest, but still more than twice the winning time on the day (Simon Booth, 1hr29mins). I felt I’d run at a sensible pace (I was on holiday, after all) and it was a useful recce for the next time when conditions would hopefully suit me better. I didn’t need the swim in the lake to cool off, as the heavens opened just as I crossed the finish line.

Fairfield Horseshoe 9m/3000ft

The final day of my week’s holiday in the lakes. The weather was as predicted, cooler with the cloud base below some summits, Fairfield being one of them. Ideal for full-out race effort.

Approaching the summit of Fairfield I did begin to wonder about the lack of marshals on Great Rigg, the 2nd check point on the race-map. If I’d not spotted them, they probably hadn’t spotted me. I wasn’t the only one having this revelation; a few of the others around me had the same map. Oh well, too late. I wasn’t going back to make certain, and if I got disqualified at least it was a good practice run for next year’s race.

Post race discussion with other runners (but not the officials!) confirmed no marshals on Great Rigg, but it was still reassuring to see my name on the results when they appeared two days later. I managed 2hrs22mins, the winner 80mins. Settle Harriers must have been impressed with my recent performances as I appear to have made a mid-season transfer. Can’t imagine what the fee might have been!

TF

No comments: