Thursday, May 01, 2008

Lever Park 10k Wednesday 30th April

No results for this, as yet, but thought you might be amused to hear of my little mistake.

For some reason I had assumed that this was a two lap race. I'd had a terrible track session the evening before, legs very tired and unable to run fast enough to get out of breath. However from the gun I could tell I was going to feel better, although I could see Alan Jones of Lostock and a Horwich runner whom I didn't know gradually pulling away from me. By the end of the first lap I had warmed up and the gap wasn't getting any bigger.

By the middle of the second lap I had caught them up and then, putting in a considerable effort, passed them during what I thought was the long run in. Then, horrors! I saw the lead runners starting their third lap, just as I was running out of steam. I slowed down to fast gallop (as my father used to say) and could hear Alan and the other Horwich guy closing.

Asking spectators how many laps were left elicited no sensible response, as the likes of Gordon, Alan Sweatman and Watters had recognised my predicament and I was variously advised that there were two, three and even four laps to go. However the lovely Sue Hayes, who I am sure is incapable of telling lies, told me that I was about to start the last lap.

Fortunately, the benefits of Norman's interval sessions kicked in and I was able to raise the pace again, passing a few more runners and holding off my two rivals for that evening.

All in all, an enjoyable evening leaving me with the feeling that the extra training is having some effect.

Moral of the story, once again, "Never assume anything".

EtU

No comments: