Sunday, December 16, 2007

YJ's 2008

A third attempt on the Joss Naylor Challenge is obviously my main target for 2008. The first attempt 10 years ago was completed in 13 hr 58 min, at that time nearly two hours outside the limit for 55-59. Later that age group got the time extended to 15 hours but there was no backdating.

Eight years on EtU and I set out on a joint attempt which was to end in failure for different reasons. I fdbgua descending from Thornthwaite Beacon sustaining bloodstains and minor damage that was enough to slow me down and cause abandonment at Rosset Pike. EtU went on to complete gallantly but was out of time. So May 24th 2008 must be successful.

Although as TF correctly states I have 24 hours to complete, my target will be 18 hours, always assuming that training goes well and I can build up sufficient pace. With this objective in mind I will aim to complete at least one long event each month from January. They will include: January - That's Lyth; February - Anglezarke Amble (and Winter Hill the following day); March - Wuthering Hike and Fleet Half Marathon; April - Three Peaks and Barbondale Round; and May - anything I can find early on. Suggestions welcomed.

Training target for November and December has been 50 mpw (actual average for the past 11 weeks has been 52 miles) and the intention is to increase each month's target by 10 miles building up to 100 miles by mid May then a sharp taper, whatever that is, to the big day. Should all this go according to plan the remainder of the 2008 will probably involve trying to complete all the long championship events that have defeated me in recent years.With your help, support and encouragement all this should be possible. I just need to keep free from injuries.

YJ

1 comment:

John the Elder said...

Thanks for the info. Young John. Looking forward to that.