Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Great Winter Hill Race

Recently came across some results for this race, which was organised by Andy Walmsley for a few years in the early nineties. It went from White Coppice via Great Hill summit, Spittlers, Winter Hill trig and then back along the same line. United Utilities were never keen on authorising the route and entries were strictly limited. I've not got all the results but from the ones I have, John Hope had the fastest time with 1 hour seven minutes. I'm not sure why it folded, perhaps Andy just lost interest; it might even have been after he fell off Sharp Edge and was quite badly injured.

I'm not proposing to resurrect it as a race, but thought it might make a change for a Saturday morning to run it as an informal handicap. It would add interest if we could get the numbers up to approaching 20 or so, so folk may like to ask around and drag a few others along.

Would Saturday 26th January be a good date?

Ed


Laundry

How do you wash your fell socks? If you put them in the washer with the outsides out they end up clean, but there always seems to be some fine sand inside when you next put them on.

I've taken to rinsing the muck off the outside, under the tap, and them turning them inside out to go in the washer. The outsides don't come quite as clean as they would washed outside out, but at least there's no sand inside.

A perfectionist might wash them twice, once each way, but then a perfectionist probably wouldn't have got them dirty in the first place.

Any views?

Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan 26th is the date of the Northern XC Champs - but that may be of little interest to anyone but me, although swift John has been known to do a few and I believe Julie also turns up at a few in her Salford colours.

Anonymous said...

I was giving the Northerns a miss this year in lieu of a long run, it's the only Saturday I can make in January. Great Winter Hill route sounds good to me. Just what I need after returning from my warm-weather training in Tenerife!

TF