Monday, October 15, 2007

Saturday Runs

I will be at the Joss Naylor dinner on the 20th October and on the 27th October I will be at the wedding of my niece (daughter of Mat Sh
ticklegs). I intend to be running on the 3rd November.

Yesterday's road run will be one I won't forget in a hurry. Although only 15 miles or so for me, I had certainly had enough by the time I finished at the Lower Barn. It seemed to be far more tiring than longer runs off road such as Darwen Tower or Coope's Dozen. I think it's the relentless pace and the hard surface in road running that is so wearying.


Ed's additional run from home to the Lower Barn and back was impressive enough but John the Younger's effort, starting at Horwich and joining us at the barn after running over the Pike, and then running back from the barn area, to his car in Horwich, via The Millstone was mind blowing.

On top of all this the Swifts raced from The Black Dog at Belmont to Hordern Stoops and by the time they had finished, they had left me, a forlorn figure, half a mile back. However, they did wait for me at the top! Nicole and Julie were very sensible in leaving the pack at Scout Road and heading back to the barn via the fell. (The Tooth Fairy probably knows the route they took but Nic O claims not to have a clue "it was misty" she said. Ed).

All of this was in preparation for the Swifts' participation in the Snowdonia Marathon. I am sure that all of the Saturday gang wish them a good run. I know that there will be a race within a race so to speak and so to both of them I say "Go for it!".

John the Elder.

No comments: