Monday, June 15, 2015

Buttermere Horseshoe - the shorter one

This race was reinstated as the Darren Holloway Memorial Race in memory of the Pennine runner who sadly died during the Ian Hodgson relays a few years ago. This year an option to do a shorter version was available (as well as doing a 3 person relay of the longer race). This was still a fairly tough option of 12.9m and 5000ft, allowing it to be classified as an 'AL'.

A clash with a British Champ race and another 'AL' in the Lakes meant that the field would be down to a select few. So select that the short race had only 6 starters! The pre-race briefing reminded the runners of the long course not to follow the wrong person off Whiteless (where the 2 routes split), the 'wrong' ones were those wearing a number below 100, 71-76 to be precise.

It became quite apparent early on (within 100m of start) that there would be no danger of anyone in the long course following me down into Buttermere, worryingly it was looking like no-body in the short race would be doing it either, until I remedied that on the first climb and got ahead of 2 Keighley and Craven runners. This was my first visit up onto Whiteside and Hopegill Head. An impressive technical ridge run and just grateful it was dry underfoot as I imagine it would be quite treacherous in the wet.  The next two CPs of Grassmoor (comfortably under the 2hr15 cut-off) and Whiteless were more familiar, as was the lovely descent into Buttermere.

The valley temperature had risen a bit since setting off and conditions were a bit humid. I was seriously tempted by an ice cream, but decided that would just be a bit too 'cheeky' so opted for purchasing a fruit juice with my bus fare instead. Had to get back under my own steam now though!

The final summit of Melbreak at only 512m may not seem much, but it's a definite sting in the tail. The approach from the path along the lake leads you to a steep grassy climb up a fence line until you meet the main path and the gradient then eases somewhat. At Easter I'd reccied this part as far as the drop off the west side. I hadn't carried on as I could see where the path went (or so I thought!) so returned to Buttermere by contouring back round to the main path.

Well I definitely rued that decision on race day. The 'obvious' path petered out into a titchy contouring trod that looked like it was heading back uphill, leaving the option of a dry stream bed or a heather & bracken route downhill. The stream bed did looked promising as it was quite grassy but the sides became more vertical the further down you went and there was a large tree blocking the way half way down the hill. So I opted for the heather/bracken route. Not the efficient route off I was expecting. Given that none of the lead runners of the long race had reached the last CP before me, I decided it would be prudent to run the last 'un-reccied' 2.5k section with map in hand.

Felt like royalty when heading into the village hall for my well earned post-race cuppa. The array of food was staggering. It was lovely to be waited on. Even managed to take a 'goody' bag back to the campsite for later on.

The results are on CFR's website. Winner in the short race finished in 3:19, I finished 4th in 4:09 and third lady (1st LV45) - not often I'll get to write that for a non-navigating race! Lead runner on the long race (Simon Booth) finish just behind me in 4:13.

TF

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Looks like we can add this to our list of easier (!) options for the elderly runner - no reflection on you TF, I'm sure you were just sussing it out for the geriatrics.