Saturday, January 03, 2015

So Far, So Good

I abandoned the painkillers just 36 hours post op and the day after (op + 2) it was apparent that I had got off very lightly, compared with the majority of guys who had undergone similar surgery. It really has seemed like a case of a stitch in time saving nine.

I was knocking about quite comfortably during week 1, walked further afield exploring local footpaths in week 2, started swimming in week 3, and despite a slightly delayed start due to ice on the roads, managed a couple of rides during week 4. So, this morning (op + 26) I reported to the UP just 1 minute after the UT to find I would be running alone.

I then drove to the Top Barn and set off to do my version of the climbs:- Top Barn -> Noon Hill -> Georges Lane -> Winter Hill Trig -> Mast Road -> Two Lads -> Georges Lane -> Pike -> Gardens -> Top Barn. On a good day I have done this this circuit in just under 1:25, so I wasn't too disappointed with 1:35, given that I treated the descents from Two Lads and from the Pike with due respect.

The only discomfort was a slight twinge on the Mast Road, so as my dear old Dad used to say, I slowed down to a fast gallop, and now, several hours later, I'm fine and planning another outing on Monday, following a ride tomorrow.

On the way home I picked up my daily comic from the Co-op in Adlington and was in the check-out queue behind a guy buying a deep pan pizza. Never one to miss an opportunity, I suggested to him and the cashier that "It's one of those Christmas pizzas" - blank stare - "You know Deep Pan, Crisp and Even" - further blank stare, followed by "I don't think so, you can get them at any time of year." Perhaps it's me.

Finally, a seasonal tribute to my surgeon, Mr Varghese:-

A fine surgeon by the name of Varghese,
Found cutting up people quite easy.
But when carving the turkey,
He went all wobbly and jerky,
And left his guests feeling quite queasy - (well, you try rhyming with Varghese!)

I hope you all have as much fun and success in 2015 as I hope to have.

No comments: