Sunday, September 14, 2014

t'Yorkshire-man 10k

Original plan this weekend was to do Hodder Show Fell Race on Saturday and then drive over from there with Julie to York and on Sunday support Diane in a 10k.
Logistics in the end meant that Hodder Valley would have to be missed so I'd did the UTUP on Saturday morning with EtU, TF and Rachel (Ed, have you a publishable nom de plume for your daughter?) After a very sluggish climb up Two Lads, I decided to call it a day and return to the UP. I had it in mind to enter Diane's race on the Sunday but was a little apprehensive as I suspected I still had tiredness in my legs from the GRP - certainly felt tired on Thursday's 3 hour run.
Diane was quite happy to have her dad in the same race, so after a rushed breakfast and good few glasses of Rioja the previous evening, we headed over to Newby Hall to give us an hour before the 10.30 start. Registration was somewhat hectic as some glitch meant that many of the pre-registered had to register again.
After a few minutes delay and the 2k fun run, I lined up with Diane somewhere near the back of the runners, planning to run the first few hundred metres alongside Diane. By the time I reached the start line, which I now know to have taken 13 seconds, I could hold back no longer as the pace around me seemed a little slow (and I was last after 200 metres at Henderson's End earlier in the year, so it must have been slow). I managed to weave my way around the other runners and got up to my planned pace over the next kilometre.
I'm used to the rest of the runners being strung out around, thinned out in my customary position at the back of the field. This was now happening but with a subtle difference - I wasn't at the back of the field.
I passed one bloke who I thought may be in the same age category and thought of the possibility of a paucity of V55 runners ahead of me. The final kilometre came and the tiredness must have affected me as I lost six places, including  to my potential rival. However, the finishing clock did make me happy, a few seconds over 46 minutes, some four minutes quicker than my last 10k, the supposedly fast course of the Manchester 10k last year. My garmin, showed the course as marginally short by 80 metres but as it was 70% off road, that is hardly surprising.
The prizegiving came but was very limited, no category prizes, think it was just first three m/f and first veteran under 40!!! I did manage to get a peak at the results which showed that I had finished 40th with a chip time of 46:00.
The full results are now up and include age-related performance which make pleasant reading as my result was 8th best amongst the men, with three women having better results, out of 262 finishers. So for once, this tail-end Charlie is quite happy with his race - and looking the age-related performances think I must have been first V55. It also puts me in the Runbritain top 100 V55 10k in the North West - still a long way to go to match the likes of anyone called John though.
Oh, the race was called the Yorkshire 10k, although I don't think it could be classed as a championship race.

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Gordon, Rachel's blog name is Sporty Swift (even though she is now a Merino). The OSH is Ginger Swift, Meredith is Baby and the middle two are fighting over Posh and Scary.