Monday, September 22, 2014

Langdale Marathon - 20th September 2014

In conditions perfect for running and just three days after his 75th birthday, YJ stormed round this two lap hilly course in just 4 hours and 37 minutes and in the process left all the V65s and all but two of the V60s trailing in his wake (there was no other runner older than 69).

As he crossed the finish line in front of the New Dungeon Ghyll, his younger brother still had 6 miles to 'run'!

I think the only time I smiled (except for Josie's photograph) was when I asked the whereabouts of the electric sweeper car and was told that when fully charged, it was good for 28 miles. Fine for the marathon it was thought, but no allowance had been made for the distance from the charging point in Ambleside to the start of the race some distance up the Langdale Valley. Seems like our Duracell Bunny carried more charge than theirs!

Ladies will no doubt be pleased to hear that one Katherine Cousins, of Lancaster and Morcambe AC, placed 5th overall, beating all the senior men. Vets took the first four places, with Steven Prentice the outright winner in 3:05 and Glyn Kay of Horwich second in 3:11.

Not a lot more to say other than to repeat my congratulations to John and to return once more to the drawing board - I'm wearing a path in the carpet!

Full results on John Schofield's website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely fantastic John. You get better as you get older. How's it done? I can currently manage the 37 mins. When I get rid of all obstacles I'll work on the 4 hours.