Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Salt Cellar Fell Race Fri 2nd Aug (10.9k/486m)

If you go down to the woods today .....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
you're sure of a great surprise!
 
Well I certainly did when I came across these two creatures whilst recceing the final part of Friday nights race.
 
The location was Fairholmes woods, between the Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs. In all the times I've travelled along the Snakes Pass, this was the first time I've ventured up the road heading north. What a delightful area, I can see why it'd be a popular picnic spot.
 
The race route took you onto the moor to the east of the reservoirs and makes you wonder if they were a bit hungry when coming up with place names as we passed 'cakes of bread' and 'salt cellar' on our way round.
 
The early pace was a bit of a shock after all the long stuff I've been doing recently and I was struggling keeping ahead of the sweeper. The advance party could have done with a couple of machetes as we traversed round Dovestones Clough, they didn't do a good job of clearing a decent path for me through the bracken. That aside, it was a cracking route with good mix of tracks, trails, trods and a tiny bit of tarmac.
 
Can you top this for a finish line ( cue Dambusters music...)!
 

Results can be found on www.gritstoneseries.co.uk There's a couple of races left in the series. I can recommend Windgather, nice tour of the Goyt Valley

TF

No comments: