Sunday, August 18, 2013

Howtown Fell Race Sat 17th Aug (20.6k/1415m)

What a race! I thought this would give me a challenge and it certainly lived up to expectations.

My only previous excursion into this area was on the 2010 Rab MM when the midway camp was in the Martindale valley.

The route starts at the Outwardbound Centre and visits check points on Loadpot, High Raise, Place Fell and Hallin.

The weather forecast was spot on - grim! So much so I opted to run in my heavier jacket usually used for walking. And that's what I was doing for most of the way to High Raise, tracked by the sweeper. Those in the know will be aware that the main path skirts some 100m to the west of the summit cairn. Fortunately I was going slow enough to spot it, some of the faster boys (and ? girls) didn't. For some the error only came to light once they'd reached Thornthwaite Beacon. At the time I'd reached the Marshall, 26/56 runners had failed to come and say 'hello'!

My sweeper who had by this point kept a 'gentlemanly' 20m distance to my rear decided to join forces for the trek over Rampsgill Head and finally to the relief of having the wind for the most part behind us. Visibility was still poor and we stuck to the main paths on the stretch to Place Fell. I'm sure there must be better lines but that'll do for a recce on a better day.

By Place Fell energy levels were low. I hadn't been diligent in taking much food on board so quickly chomped some dates whilst my companion filled the Marshall in on the state of play so far. My companion, although living locally had thus far been unable to locate the trod dropping off to the east below High Dodd. So I can at least say that I proved useful in some respect, although I did slightly overshoot the turn off for the footpath to climb up to the road.

It was a struggle up Hallin Fell, but the usual one foot in front of the other got me there in the end.

Before the race I'd estimated a time of somewhere between 4-4.5hrs, but given the conditions I'll settle for 4.40. The winner managed 2.15.

I can't praise the RO, Marshalls and 'Mr Sweeper' enough. Those were truly atrocious conditions for hanging about on top of a hill. There's a bit of a discussion on the Fellrunner forum regarding the missed cp. Results are on the home page.

I'll be back to do it again, that's for sure. £3's a bargain.

TF
ps Mr Sweeper cycled home!!

No comments: