Friday, June 07, 2013

Henderson's End last night

No UTUP for me as I joined a record entry of 118 runners for this evening frolic on Winter Hill. The route had to be altered thanks to our favourite helpful company, United Utilities, who would not allow the race to go up the back of Winter Hill so we got the pleasure of climbing (and descending) the Pike not once but twice. I set off fairly leisurely and managed to catch up with Paul Murray by the Pigeon Tower. Good running along George's Lane and the climb to the Pike meant I gained a few more places, losing some but not much on the descent before reclaiming them on the way to Pike Cottage. Greeted by Ed close to the cottage, I decided not to push to hard on the climb, running alongside Newburgh's Brian Kennedy. Paul had gained a decent lead on the climb.  Another slight deviation from the announced route up near the mast due to nesting birds and we then rounded the trig point. Obviously I lost some ground on the descent but didn't actually lose any places as I passed some noisy locals picnicking on Two Lads. George's Lane and the ascent of the Pike meant I was pulling back a bit but no-one I spoked to liked the descent from the Pike as we had to take the spiral bridleway rather than the grass or steps: this caused at least one faller. I spoke to the RO about this and it may well be adjusted for next year. To my surprise, nobody overtook me on the final descent to finish in 90th 73:42 for 7 miles recorded with nearly 1700ft of ascent. This gives 5.7mph - I would normally be pleased with 5mph on Winter Hill routes.
At one time I thought I would not be alone amongst our group in the race, but Colin's race plan would be far two sinister to relate.
Photos on Mark's Swindell's facebook page
Here's one with Paul, Brian and myself on George's Lane, approaching Pike Cottage from the Pike.
I'll put a link for the results when they are available on the net.


No comments: