Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Reet Good Day Out!

I was going to say a 'a reet good morning out' but on considering the times - depart 9:04 am, arrive back 3:24, it was obvious that the greater part of the outing was in the afternoon.

Recognising that I woud be out of the country for the usual CD date, I had declared that I would be attempting the round yesterday, so I was pleased to find that in addition to YJ, who had already declared his support, to find that t'Y and the ever trepid (my word) SN were at the Top Barn to keep me company.

SN had been assured by NLN that she was up to the task, and so she was.

We cruised up to Noon Hill and at that point split into two groups, YJ and t'Y took the George's Lane route to the Pike, and SN and I took the high level (SJC's) route, getting there in a fine 14 minutes.

WE waited there for the slow group who had at that point scooped up Christa, a relatively new Horwich recruit.

Christa stayed with us until just past the Shooting Hut then turned for home following t'Y's directions (have you got home yet, Christa?). At about that point we met EYJ who declined our invitation to join us, and we proceeded to the res.  YJ was running out of steam and turned for home, thank-you John, good to have you thus far.

At Egg Hillock the big decision was whether to follow the established due west route, or to proceed to Shaley Dingle, and then look for the FSSS west by south west route. t'Y assured us he could find the new route and we followed him, eventually homing in on the ridge, less that 100 yards from the ill-defined summit (I'm not convinced).

Then WHT and down to Hordern Stoops to retreive my stash, which we shared out then continued on to Old Adam's Hill, thence Spittlers then to Great Hill to retreive stash no. 2.

At that point I was flagging, but led by t'Y and supported by SN I struggled on through Round Loaf, Healey Nab and thence back to the barn. Three completers, with company along the way from other friends.

Not quite up to the Lakeland rounds, but this is what it''s all about, guys, thank you all.

Enjoy the official outing!

1 comment:

Christa said...

I got home ok but there were a couple of 'am I going the right way' moments along the way. Thanks for the mini tour, always good to learn new places to add to my run routes.