Saturday, June 01, 2013

A second short Duddon, but longer

I had a great day on Short Duddon, despite being over 20 minutes slower than three years ago. I have to put the comparison in perspective. Three years ago I was near the end of a successful training regime for my 550 mile Pyrenees Walk. I was a stone lighter than now, and three years younger. I had already competed in numerous long distance races : the Amble, Haworth Hobble, etc. This year my longest race so far had been the 10 mile Cake Race, which although slightly longer than Short Duddon, is far less demanding at only 1600ft of climb, mostly on good paths, compared with Short Duddon's 3000ft, with much route choice and challenging terrain.

I was determined to set off conservatively and think I did so, but with only 31 runners in the race route knowledge (or lack of it) would make a difference.

Up to Dow Crag it was good, seven runners were all within sight on the climb, including TF who was showing her strength on the climbs, and I got within a few seconds of her on the faster sections. I reached Dow Crag in 1:24, only 5 minutes down on 2010. From Dow Crag my usual poor choice and lack of ability on rough terrain came into play.  I thought I had seen the route choice of those in front but think I veered too high and had to contend with rocks. Gradually my good early pace was eroded and I lost ground, passing White Pike checkpoint in 1:53 (1:42) and Caw in 2:35 (2:14). My descent from Caw was only a minute slower than 2010 with relatively not too much wandering around. I did have an advantage that the leaders of the long race were now passing me to provide hints on the best route down, whereas previously I finished before all the long course runners.

TF had a magnificent second half. If she was only a minute in front of me at Dow Crag, her second half was completed in only 55 minutes, some 13 minutes quicker than 2010, resulting in her category winning finish time of 2:18, and only beaten to 2nd lady by 22 seconds, and only 6 minutes adrift of Andy.

The fact that both Ed and YJ completed is to be commended given the setbacks they have endured in recent months. In the long race, Kev found it hard going but completed in about 5:40.

The team for the short race (if a race in which the winner takes 1hr 32 can be called short!)


No comments: