Sunday, March 04, 2012

Final XC of the Winter

No UTUP for EYJ and myself as we headed for Worden Park in Leyland for the final Mid-Lancs fixture to close off our cross-country season. Excellent weather with a bit of sunshine meant that singlet and shorts were the preferred choice for me. I set off behind EYJ planning to track him so I wouldn't blow up. After about half a mile, I was on his shoulder and couldn't resist going past. For once I managed to pace my race with sufficient sense so that we both gained places on the third on longest lap (all three laps were of different lengths). I just scraped in the right side of 50 minutes for the 5.9 mile course with EYJ some 30 seconds behind me. I was very satisfied with that as the course was still quite muddy in places and included 700ft of climb. It represented a three to four minute improvement relative to the Chorley race when I look at the two results sheets, and back to the standard of the Liverpool race.
So I think I'm on for another go at the Hobble and hopefully can be quicker than my PW time and would be happy with anything quicker than 7hrs30.

No comments: