Thursday, April 08, 2010

Still time to taper?

With regard to Saturday, my plans have changed and I will be doing my last long run (hopefully) before the Brighton Marathon on Friday and not Saturday, so any thoughts of a rendezvous at the Black Dog won't work out.


This is to give me an extra day to recover which may be useful as after last weekend I struggled to get going again. Monday saw two attempts totalling 1.25 miles; and Tuesday was intended to be 21 miles from the Lower Barn but after struggling round Rivington and Anglezarke reservoirs sense prevailed and I retired to the car after 7 miles.

Wednesday saw a return to some sort of form with a three year best for 10 miles before breakfast, followed by the first of the inter-club grand prix, four miles round Stanley Park in Blackpool in 29 mins 49 secs (7 mins 29 secs per mile). Today I paid the price as lethargy crept in again and I convinced myself to save any energy for tomorrow.

If anyone is free and wants some tarmac miles I will be attempting again to do 21 miles. After the first lap of the two reservoirs, starting at 12 45 from the main drive, I will be back at Rivington Green at 1 45 (approaching down Sheephill lane) with another 14 miles to go round the standard Bolton 40 course. The weather forecast is good - cloudy, 14 degs with little or no wind.

PS: I made it to the top of Rivington Pike in 18 mins 25 secs last Saturday and Nico couldn't have been more than 10 seconds behind. So who was the fastest descender? Certainly not me.

No comments: