Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More from Brighton

By now you all know the result of my Brighton marathon, run on an unseasonably hot day on a course that was much like a football match -- an event of two halves! The first half was the only bit with hills (which us northerners would call slight inclines) and was the only interesting section undulating along the coast past Roedean School before turning back to the centre of Brighton, for a second half with long straight urban sections punctuated only by hairpin turns, a trundle round the docks and then a four mile finishing straight.

With an expected 9000 runners the start was strictly controlled with corals colour coded and matching coloured numbers. In spite of forecasting a 3hr 50min finish I was way at the back with slower runners. We septuagenarians are not expected to go sub 4 hrs it would seem. So from the gun I had a six minute shuffle to the start line and that handicap had to be overcome if I was to beat my target of 3hr 52mins.

The race plan was to do the first half at 8mins 30secs pace and then add another minute for the second half. I was still about 8min 30 secs pace at the 20 mile point were a local art college had erected a cardboard wall for us to run through. By now I had time in hand and was feeling great until another geriatric went flying past to finish a minute or so ahead of me. Fortunately it turned out that he was a youngster of 68 and although he was ahead of me in the results I beat him on chip time.

Now there is an anxious wait to see if I get a credit on the powerof10 rankings before Sunday's London results are incorporated. I don't expect my time to survive longer.

Having Eden making his marathon debut behind me was an added stress as I knew he would find it hard going and I was glad to see him at the finish non too much the worse for wear.

This Sunday Sally makes her London marathon debut so I have all the stress to endure again.

No comments: