Sunday, November 09, 2008

Shepherds Skyline 6m/1150ft

The warm-up for this one began at 9.30am with a bit more recceing of Leg 4 of the Calderdale Way Relay. I was joining the route as it passes above Hebden Bridge Golf Club but decided not to be too cheeky and use their car park and left the car parked further along the road. On my return, I thought I’d short-cut across the course to get back to the car. Some people never learn do they? Foiled by a stone wall and barbed wire, I trudged back up the hill emerging on a tee just as one of the golfers was about to drive off. Oops. Apologised profusely and offered him the golf ball I’d found.

Off then to Lambutts and the Shepherds Rest Inn. Tod Harriers had thought of everything. To save us messing up the pub there was an area outside designated ‘Hose Down’. However, after registering and arriving back at my car, I found one of West Yorkshire’s shiny new fire engines parked in front of it. I decided that what ever mud I collected I’d take it home with me.

How good is this for a route map!






The weather forecast wasn’t quite spot on, and carrying a windproof top was insisted on. I added a hat and gloves in pockets but bared a bit more leg on this occasion. For one poor runner, who wrenched his knee after just dropping past Stoodley Pike, the number of runners offering spare kit would prove a godsend. He was eventually stretchered off the hill.

I finished leaving plenty of room for improvement for next time. Winner Ian Holmes (Bingley) 42:31, me 83:38 and a record turn out of 362. So I just about squeaked under double the winning time, which is usually my marker for a poor race, but then this also depends on the calibre of the winning runner.

TF

No comments: