Sunday, September 29, 2019

Rombalds Romp Fell Race  8m /1214ft Sunday 29th Sept


I've decided, I'm making a come-back. None of my clothes fit! Well I picked a cracker of a race for my first V50 fell race. Yep, you read that right, 51 and 3/4, and this was going to be my first V50 race of the type that you rock up on the day, fill in paper form, hand over a bit of dosh (probably less than a pint of beer in London) in return for a number you pin on your chest.

I'd done a bit of orienteering on Rombalds Moor (just south of Ilkley) in the past. I had a look at the route map yesterday and realised there was a bit of everything in this one, trail paths, peaty trods, boggy bits, a bit of road (not excessive). Just over 8m with a previous winning time of about 50 mins, last runner 2hrs 10 in 2018. I can do it, bring it on!

Not many races you get a 'full on' orienteering map to follow. 60-odd toed the line. The weather was biblical.


Well, I was walking up the first hill on the tarmac. Not a good sign, but I did have someone behind me keeping the sweepers company. I lost sight of the lady in front by the 2nd CP, so ran virtually the entire race by myself. 

The route was completely flagged, so my map stayed in my pocket, and I could just run. It was an absolute blast! The weather was pretty grim, but the route wasn't steep enough that I couldn't keep moving to keep warm. It was very wet, boggy, muddy, a real good variety of terrain. It reminded me why I love fell-running so much.

I crossed the finish line in 2.07mins. The race organiser was there to greet me, I must have had a big smile on my face as he asked if I'd enjoyed it. Fabulous,  I told him, it was my come back race and I'd be back again in a year, hopefully to get under 2hrs. I complemented him and his helpers on the flagged route that took us round the best bits of Rombalds Moor.

I came away with these

The one on the left I got for finishing, the one on the right for being V50. What a result!

TF 


1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Good stuff, TF, not a lot of racing going on in this group at the moment.