Saturday, February 18, 2017

Build up for NYM 100 has finally started

January was a bit of a dead loss with the cold virus that had been doing the rounds shortly before picking up a calf injury (the day we met up at Rivi Bowling Green café) which restricted me to no more than two mile runs. A couple of weekends ago I managed to do a parkrun followed by an additional 7 miles, so I was now up to 10 miles without exacerbating the calf.
The plan was to do the Amble but when I got round to entering two weeks before the event, found that for the first time in many years, it was full. Even with my connections, I was unable to wangle an exception, such was the number who had been turned away.
At about the same time, the route description for this year's LDWA 100 over the North York Moors had finally been published (or at least a route on which recce is allowed).
So a conversation with Julie and daughter Diane resulted in going over to her house in Thirsk with a plan to run the final legs of the route which finishes back in Malton. I had thought of starting from Goathland but that would have added nearly seven miles and the weather forecast was not exactly encouraging so plumped for the start of stage 14 at Stape Village Hall. Stape makes Rivington seem like New York! After dropping off our current dog at the kennels, Julie dropped me off at Stape at about 10.30, ensuring that I was fully waterproof and windproof with sleeves tucked inside sealskinz gloves. I was thoroughly prepared for absolutely foul weather at the start with wet sleet and a dusting of snow and 22 miles of solo running ahead.
Luckily after a couple of miles, the weather eased a little and the terrain became a little more sheltered. the early part of the route included only a couple of 200ft ascents, nothing to write home about (might say differently when climbed after 80 miles and however many hours) before reaching Lockton and heading into Dalby forest.
Just after Lockton, I chatted to another runner who was also reccying. He had run from Thornton-le-dale and would return from Lockton. A mile or so later I could see him catching me so waited for him and we ran together to Thornton. He also had been unable to get into the Amble and recognised me from last year's event when I was involved in giving CPR. Lockton to Thornton should have been a bit quicker but it was somewhat muddy underfoot : hopefully by May it will be drier. Arriving in Thornton at 1.10, I decided to eat my lunch sheltered by the walls of the village hall which was thronging with an auction for vintage car parts. Have you ever eaten lunch wearing sealskinz gloves? I now know it is feasible. I wasn't going to remove them : I was getting colder by not moving anyway. The final two legs from Thornton were even wetter with many of the country lanes almost completely flooded. One section seemed to go through the middle of a field of vegetables. Checking the map revealed it was definitely a footpath although it was hard to believe on the ground.
I had allowed seven hours and taken my head torch but despite not making much speed over the final two legs, arrived to meet Julie, now with Diane, Neal and Oscar, with an hour to spare in Malton.
With two more weekends planned for April and May, I should at least not have any navigation issues - just need to find the time to get the mileage up.
Diane helped with that on the Sunday by inviting me to accompany her on her longest training run of the year (7 miles) as she prepares for the Edinburgh Half Ironman (she was originally going to do the Bolton Ironman but has now switched to a more sensible distance).
Today I will head to Astley Park for the cross country, my first of the year, and some more tomorrow.
Stava trace here:



2 comments:

TLoB said...

First XC?? Did the race at Giggleswick last month not count?

t'Yorkshireman said...

Technically not a xc. I know the course was on the same level as Marl Pits but we were running under Fell Race rules re kit requirements