Sunday, October 02, 2016

To Ell' and back

As every HTFC fan of a certain edge will know that the answer to "Do You Know Where (H)ell is?" is "'Ell's in Elland Road" (sung to the strains of Lee Marvin's "Wandering Star" from the film "Paint You Wagon". Anyway, at somewhat short notice I decided to do the "to Ell And Back" Challenge Event. The weather forecast had some influence and so it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day in Yorkshire and mere 45 minutes drive to get there.
I did think that one of the registration team was HTFC Manager, David Wagner, moonlighting, until he spoke with no hint of a German accent. I suppose he could take the day off without a worry, being as successful a football manager as you will find at the moment.
Back to running, The walkers had set off at 8.30 so there were just runners milling around when I arrived at 9am. And even then, being low key and no prizes, you were allowed to set off early if you so wish. With no prior experience of the route, I waited and set off with around 15 at the appointed time. This soon reduced to a group of seven, with a quicker group ahead and a slower (yes even slower than me), behind. A camaraderie soon developed as the occasional wrong turnings were almost chosen (the first first section had been changed about three days ago due to path closures). Luckily I had a print with the correct route on it, half-inced off the wall (with permission), so was able to advise those who were shooting off.
The first couple of miles were gently hilly through woodland paths with some tricky wet paths before we dropped to the Calder & Hebble Canal which was then followed to Sowerby Bridge. Some tricky road crossing and ginnels (a la Hebden Bridge on t'Hobble) to return to the canal which was then followed to Luddenden Foot, providing fast running, not much slower than 8 minutes per mile.
Then the climbs began in earnest, gaining views over to Stoodley Pike and for miles around. The "lunch" stop was at Ripponden. I, of course, ensured I had plenty to eat, ensuring I didn't repeat my only ever failure to feed properly where food was available, on this year's 100. This meant I had come adrift of the rest of the group, which did include at least one with route knowledge. However, by this team, we had passed many walkers so there were a few walkers to look out for (although not many - it should be a better supported event). After awhile, I caught sight of two Middleton runners, who who were with our group. They may have had navigational issues. Ok, not may, but definitely did! Hopefully they will not have similar issues in a couple of weeks time on the Snowdonia Marathon. YJ, I told them to follow you. The rest of the route was completed with only a few minutes lost to navigational mistakes, but you always add time checking the route. I ran with them for the remainder of the route to finish in 4:29. The advertised distance was 20 miles. Looks like we did about 20.7. Good home made hot pot pie and peas at the finish at Heath Rugby Club by which time the bar was open.    I noticed a league table was showing, but not for association football but rugby union football - Yorkshire Div 1to be precise. Sadly Heath were next to bottom of the league at this early stage of the season. However, my team, the Old Brodleians, were high flying in third.
As always, with LDWA events, great value at only £9 entry. It is worthy of much better support, maybe a chara next year?
No photos from me but they do have some nice photos on their gallery here.

No comments: