Sunday, March 23, 2014

Edale Skyline Sun 23rd March

Not the best prepared on race day - main road shut at Disley which involved a detour through New Mills after consulting the paper atlas, the Sat Nav and my phone!

So arrived approx. 10mins later then planned. Parked in the field and decided to make one trip to the registration. Slight problem, thought I had everything, but having had my kit checked and then went over to get my number I could see an extra column on the list with my dibber number in it. Where was my dibber? In the car - aaaaargh. Completely forgot about getting a discount for having my own dibber.

Got my number and sorted my rucksack and then ran back to the car for dibber. Arrived in start field at 10:30am - race start time. Thankfully the organizer was still going through the pre-race safety talk.

I liked the new diversion, lot softer on the feet. Mucked up my timing schedule though but I felt if I was on the top of Lose Hill in about 2hrs then I stood a chance of clearing the cut off. Wind in our face along the ridge but got to Mam Nick in 2:35. What a mixed blessing! I had to carry on. It was definitely hard work on the route to Brown Knoll, not quite as boggy as I feared, but not a lot of running done.

The check point at Jacobs Ladder had been moved slightly east, so it was a new contouring route up to the main path. Nailed the 'grough' route behind the Wool Packs and Crowden Tower (needs a bit of work for a poor vis day) which gained me a few places. Then finally onto Grindslow Knoll. Do I/don't I. Blow it, I went for the down and up. Said 'boo' to the marshalls on Ringing Roger as they were looking out for runners coming along the path!!

Final finish time 5:15:55, 20mins slower than 2012, 5 mins on first half, 15 on second. 50 mins slower than 2011!!

Did the down and up work. Well I think so,  I have to scroll up 30 places for someone finishing with a  faster split time for that section. So I'll be keeping it in! Results are on the sportident website www.sportident.co.uk

I'll be out doing Heptonstall next week with YJ

TF

No comments: