Friday, October 25, 2013

Reporting in

Just a small note on recent activities as I haven't been out for UTUP for a while but have recently seen EtU & NLN and sent some mail back and forth with KLM.... anyway, here are my excuses;

Three Shires
Very claggy but made it round despite a couple of falls and applying my head to a tree stump by Blea Tarn. Navigation mainly provided by an expert who runs for Clayton called Wendy.

Saddleworth Edges
A surprising jump from my usual 50 to 60% of the way down the field point to 30%, not bad at all, I'll have to try and repeat it.

Ian Hodgson Leg 2
Horrible weather for this, discovered my partner had been moved to another team at the end of Saddleworth Edges but was paired up with Ritzy so happy with that. The weather did it's work and we had one small nav error but nothing too major, lost the Leg Three team members and went out searching before finding them walking back from Brotherswater to Patterdale.

Langdale
A decent start followed by a fall on a sore knee before Bowfell didn't really bode well for the rest of the race but thought as the weather was so good I'd trot round with my navigator from Three Shires and take in some views from the top of the Crinkles and Blisco. Once again further up the field than usual, maybe my training is starting to pay off!

Pentland Skyline
The day after Langdale, instead of returning home before heading to Scotland on the Sunday to attend a meeting earl on Monday, I thought I'd break up the journey by taking in the 16 miles, 6200 foot and about 17 peaks of the Pentlands. A great race, first half in awful weather and with the knee bad from the day before I nearly turned it in after 8.5 miles before a marshal and ex-Saddleworth runner told me "You're too far from home to give up Horwich, get round, off you go!"so being my normal suggestible self, I did and the second half cleared up when the clag lifted. Here's a pic from the way back in, the course heading from the left out and round to the right (please excuse the quality, one from the phone)


FRA Relays, LLanberis
Leg 3, the Nav Leg or the Get Your Map At The Start Leg. Another one in high winds and rain, paired with the recent BG completer Mr Roe this time and charging all over armed with a dibber and some route choices. 8.7 miles and around 2600 ft took 2:20 with plenty of traversing, waterlogged fields and a decent cut to the shin from some rusty barbed wire. Plenty of fun, wouldn't mind going back and having a go at some of the other legs actually.

Think that's it for now, I'm just starting to plan next year amongst other things, should be fun!

One final thing; sorry for blinding you with the torch last night EtU!

No comments: