Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fairfield Horseshoe

Think I'd have been better staying at home, but at the time I pre-entered this race it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I can think back to a time nearly 20 years ago when preparing to sit some Post Graduate exams and knowing full well I hadn't done enough work. The pass rate was approximately 30% of entrants (it was after all a money- generating scheme for the Royal Colleges) so the lesser of two evils was to take the exam and fail, rather than admit to my Consultants I was underprepared and back out.

My 'Consultants' this time round were the numerous runners who had failed to secure an entry. Though up until we set off I still thought I'd at least match last years time.

The start was delayed 30mins due to parking field issues (some had to leave their cars in Ambleside) which gave me a good chance to have a natter with a few v70 contenders (EYJ and Paul M) Once finally off the first 500m found me sadly lacking. Can't say I've done many fell races where by the time I got to the fell gate I've had thoughts of turning back. I was still seriously thinking about up until the Fairfield Summit, probably the easier route back to Rydal Hall.

But stuck with it, finally passing a few on the way down the other side. Finish time was over 2hr:30, by how much I not sure, may be as much as 5 mins.

I'll need to have a look at my race schedules and recovery times. I think two weekends of long distance events back-to-back has certainly had a part to play in today's poor showing, that and the lack of running during the week thinking I'd feel the benefit today(!)

Despite my poor efforts, little Evie was in her element on the parking field. I might be one of the slowest on the Hill, but I'm now one of the quickest out of the parking. Left just as reinforcements, in the guise of a tractor with big fork thing attached to the front, arrived. I'm guessing the ones well and truly stuck were going to get a 'lift' out of the mud rather than a tow.

TF

1 comment:

EtU said...

I'm always a bit unsure about folk who give their car a name.