Sunday, July 01, 2012

A bit wet in Wales

This weekend should have been my first aid training course but that got brought forward a month and freed me up for a bit of racing and the onwards and upwards training regime for Borrowdale.

Looking for a longish race I found Foel Fras for Saturday, 12m and 3000ft. So was then on the hunt for something for Sunday and came across the incongruously named Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race, also in north Wales.

Race HQ for Saturday was Abergwyngregyn. just off the A55 about 3m from Bangor. In attendance was Teamdolly who man a lot of races in Wales providing radio cover from the checkpoints. Here's a link to the route map off their website
http://teamdolly.co.uk/races/maps/Foel%20Fras%202012.pdf

Essentially a clockwise circuit from the village up to Foel Fras and back via Moel Wnion. A hardcore of 52 runners in attendance. On a nice day this would allow some fabulous views, but given the fact that it was the last day of June in Great Britain, it was a case of batten down the hatches. Bum bag only had my waterproof bottoms and whistle in, every thing else out, hat, gloves, compass etc. I was bringing up the rear by a long way, think the marshalls were glad to see me only so they could get off home!

Here I am at point MP2 on the map https://picasaweb.google.com/113703124495320052705/RasFoelFras?authuser=0&feat=directlink#5759891195632803234
A bit of confusion for the marshalls at point 6 on the map who seemed to think that I was no longer last (here's me https://picasaweb.google.com/101179749195971530754/FoelFras2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCO2gvKOy3rTWEg#5759914749935439170, still smiling). Solved at Race HQ by a runner who confessed to by-passing the CP and taking an alternative route back.

There's been a lot of chatter on the fellrunner forum of late on the best method of how to track runners in races. We had a head count by the RO before the start, but noticed one runner who'd been back to his car join the back of the pack and avoid the count. All adding to the confusion of how many have set off and how many have come back. Took me 3hrs12mins (my watch) which was pretty slow but I was on my own for the whole race.

Overnight camp was at Betws-y-coed and a shortish trip on Sunday morning to Alwen Reservoir and the Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race. Legend has it that this Fairy Freckled Cow produced an endless supply of milk until one day a 'wicked hag' turned up and milked her dry. The cow upset at the treatment wandered off and ended up walking into the lake.  http://www.welsh-mythsandlegends.walesdirectory.co.uk/Fairies/The_Freckled_Cow_Y_Fuwch_Frech.html

We got to run a 11K circuit round the lake. Despite my exertions from the previous day I soon got into my stride and had a thoroughly enjoyable run, overtaking a few on the way round. Good paths, a couple of stiffish climbs which I pushed myself up running all the way. A hidden little gem. Top marks to Denbigh Harriers who put the race on. Will be a brave man that wears the pink race t-shirt we were presented with at the end, nice little bonus for me though.

TF

No comments: