Saturday, April 09, 2011

Todays Run

Don't know about everyone else, but how good was that to be out in the sun? My run today was a recce of the permitted training route for the first two peaks of the 3 Peaks Fell Race. Being a girl on a mission meant a lack of photos but Pen y Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough (viewed from a distance) were looking their best.

The run started with a timed 'effort' to the summit of Pen y Ghent and then a steady pace run to Ribblehead. The permitted route then follows the tourist route up Whernside, adding no feet of climb but does add an extra 2 miles compared to the race route. A bit slower pace dodging all the 3 Peak Walkers. Overhearing some conversations I didn't like the sound of the 7am start that some of them had. My 10am one would have sounded positively decadent in comparison!

I managed to get to the Hill Inn in a total of 4hrs, which although 30 mins outside the allowed race time, I felt that come race day I might just be able to shave a few mins, hopefully 31 of them, off this time. Refreshed with a glass of fizzy pop, I completed the final mile and a bit road run back to the Station Inn at Ribblehead. The glass of fizzy pop here was fortified with a bit of alcohol, proud to have completed my longest solo off-road recce run.

Next week I can be available for a utup on Thurs, or will join the fast'uns at Wilderswood. Saturday I'm off to Wales for a go at a Welsh Mountain called Moelwyn.

TF

No comments: