Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekends running (from TF's point of view)

We (TF, EYJ and TIM) completed our first full recce of WHFR, including some nearly complete submersion's by all three of us. Some small sections still need a bit of work but EYJ and myself pronounced ourselves very satisfied with a good mornings work. Total time 3hrs 40mins.

Just to prove that there's still 'life in the old bird' yet, I put myself on the start line of the Accrington 10k at 10am on the following morning. Mad or what? After 8 mins and 25 secs had elapsed for the first mile and with a couple of Salford Harriers still in sight I decided that I'd be certifiable if I carried on at that pace and up it to 7min/m by the 2nd mile. Mind you, we had started a steep downhill section.

Sense prevailed and by mile 3 and the bottom of hill (23:35) was beginning to wonder which wheel would drop off first. Starting to see stars at mile 4 (32:something, vision a bit blurry) and starting to count down the miles (all 2.2 of them) and negligible ft of climb compared to what I normally do. At this point joined by male runner from Northern Vets. At mile 5 (41: something, didn't dare look again just in case it was 47:something), found out courtesy of one of his fan club that he was 76 yrs young and still going strong, too flipping strong if you ask me.

At this point considered that Runnersworld has a lot to answer for. Last week had put in my times for 300m in it's pace calculator and it'd pinged up 54:51 for a 10k. So unless disaster struck.... whoah ...Northern Vet runner decided at that precise moment to veer dangerously right across my path...not wanting the RO to lose his H&S certificate decide to get out of harms way. Northern Vet runner complemented me on my pacemaking as I edged slightly ahead again.

Turned the last corner and managed to cross the finish line in 51:17, life times best for a 10k, beating previous best of 52:17 (Radcliffe 10K, 2006). Bacon Buttie and cup of coffee to celebrate!

TF

1 comment:

Ian Charters said...

Great run TF!