Sunday, February 14, 2010

Looking back at the Amble

Ed, you may wish to merge with comments from NicO, NLN, YJ and JtE as they arrive. (posted it on my blog last night in error).
Got there in good time (by my standards). Got my tallycard, dumped my holdall, tightened my shoelaces and headed outside with the clock showing two minutes to eight. There were still a few in the hall. To my surprise everyone had already been allowed to start. So had to navigate my way through the throngs of walkers for the first half mile or so. Eventually caught up with JtE somewhere near the start of the Chinese Gardens and then YJ, NLN and NicO just before Georges Lane.
With my renowned descending ability (lack of), thought it wise to push on a little towards the mast and NiCo duly passed me on the descent. Thought NLN was also there but apparently not. We regrouped on the road although YJ had yet to arrive.
So the rest of the race was spent running with a couple a foxy ladies who I kept inviting to the restaurants en route but for the some reason they spurned the offers and kept zooming off into the distance after each refreshment point. I kept catching them up, going ahead, only to be overtaken at each refreshment stop. White Coppice seemed to take an age both in the clippering and the refreshments but I think it was wise to take in as much as possible. They seemed to be miles away but eventually caught up with them approaching Anglezarke Reservoir. Suggested we should blast it to get inside 5 hours but they were wise enough to know it wasn't on (I had an extra two minutes to play with). Didn't make it but quite happy with 5:05, especially as I still felt quite tired after my high mileage earlier in the week. With a bit slicker "transitions" at the refreshment points, I might have sneaked it.
No chances of taking any photos but it was a very fine day for the event, although there was one hairy descent between Belmont and Strawbury Duck on which no grip was possible due to the ice.
Big thanks to NicO and NLN for ensuring I didn't blow up - there were points in the first half where I could have pushed on but I know I would have paid for it later.

No comments: