Wednesday, June 17, 2009

James's Thorn Fell Race 5m/1610ft

I hadn't planned to post a report for this race as it wasn't in the original FRA calendar, only in the updates section and therefore wouldn't count in the EtU challenge. But had to post this as I thought it would amuse you all.

Pre-race instructions at T - 1min were as follows, mumble mumble clockwise mumble red mumble mumble yellow flags. From this I gathered that we were to follow the outward route until the loop at the top where we would follow the red flags in a clockwise direction, say 'Hello' to the marshall at the summit check-point and return following the yellow flags. Clever eh? I had a map with the plan of the route, what could possibly go wrong? Winning time, has been in the region of 33-35mins so I'd guesstimated about 60mins for me (+5-7 mins for % error), so working on a 60/40 split about 45mins to the summit

So like last Wednesday's race set off last, but tonights field was a lot smaller and the gaps larger. I reached the part of the race where I started to get passed by the leaders on their descent and finally got to the point where the loop started and the beginning of the flags, well actually about 4 red flags all in one spot. At this point I also had a good view of the returning part of the loop and the yellow flags. So beared left following the trod and studmarks, the runner in front had disappeared into the clag by now. Continued for about a further 200m uphill until reaching a plateau. The clag cleared and it was at this point I would have expected to see another red flag, but nothing, no sign of a marshall either. So map out and a scan round to decide if this was near enough the furthest point of the race. A quick check of the watch, decided I'd done enough uphill and it was time for a bit of downhill. So ran along the edge of the plateau, past a very flat cairn and a small stone pillar, dropped off the edge and headed back towards the way I'd come eventually picking up a line of yellow flags.

So a bit of a 'Black Combe' moment all over again. But this time not only had the check-point marshall up-sticks (literally, with all the red flags) he'd also locked all the gates on the way back as well, further slowing me up. I returned to base in 1hr9mins.

So what, you might say, what's so funny about that. Well here's the rub, the check-point marshall was one of my Salford Harrier team-mates, knows what I look like, knew I was running and as there were only 45 runners in the race, 4 of us female, you'd have thought he'd have known if I'd have gone past him at the summit!

We all had a good laugh about it at the end, got a nice bit of free curry for my tea and a won a Ronhill tee-shirt for being 4th Lady.

TF

No comments: